Thursday, March 12, 2009

Fun at the cabin

This past week, we were able to get a little R&R at the cabin. Malory and Devin went up with me and the girls Friday morning, and Cris met us after work Saturday evening.

I don't usually spend much time at the cabin in the winter (there's SO much snow!) so it was a little different from the summer water fun I'm used to... but we still had so much fun! I took a million pictures I'd love to post, but I narrowed it down to these:



My moms dog, Beans, went with us. McKenzie had a blast taking him for walks, even if it was just on the deck! We did get to play on the swing set a little, but most of the trip was spent indoors.


McKenzie warming her tootsies by the fire. Isn't this what winter is supposed to be?

Alli worked on her sitting up skills, and just about has it down! Quit growing up girlie - you're only 5 months old!


We watched a few movies and cuddled on the couch. Cris and McKenzie dozed off. Too cute!


Aww!


This is McKenzies silhouette in front of a pile of snow that had fallen off of the roof. There was about 2 feet on the ground when we got there, and another foot fell Monday night.

Here's a picture of the storm. It was SO peaceful to sit near the fire with hot cocoa and a book or a cuddle from one of my girls.
Watching my girls enjoy the cabin, brought to mind some of my favorite memories from the cabin. Here's my Thursday Thirteen list:
  1. The whole family sitting on the porch, eating cherries and spitting pits
  2. Catching skeeters and tadpoles in the pond
  3. Watching my dad fly fish on the river, and him letting me reel them in
  4. Jessica and I thinking we were cool when were 12 and met some boys there
  5. Sharons mighty fall into the pond
  6. The worlds best hide and seek games
  7. Grandma repeatedly attempting to make fudge, but it never turning out. (She can make fudge, just apparently not at the cabin!)
  8. The hummingbirds fighting over the feeder while we watch through the window at breakfast time.
  9. Grandma Dona rescuing fallen baby robins by picking them up with a teaspoon, and climbing a ladder to put them back in their nest.
  10. My brother, Bob, claiming to have been bitten by a snake when it "jumped up" and bit him
  11. The cabin smell.
  12. Yahtzee!
  13. I had to include a story for number 13: I was there when Grandma and Grandpa were setting the rocks around stream in front of the cabin. I startled a small skunk from the brush, and took off running. Grandma yelled at me, "Push its tail down! PUSH IT DOWN AND IT WONT SPRAY!" I wasn't convinced so I ran to the porch near Grandpa. Grandma took after that skunk with a shovel, trying to push it's tail down. She eventually knocked it into the stream and tried to drown it with her shovel. I remember Grandpa taking a sip of his diet coke and shaking his head while he said, "sometimes I don't know about your grandma..." with a big smile on his face. I think she fought with the skunk for an hour before we lost interest and went inside. I still don't know who won, but I don't remember her smelling like she was sprayed!

6 comments:

Shelese said...

Awww the good old cabin smell, you have got to love it! That skunk story is pretty awesome, I'll have to ask Grandma about it.

Lacey Sue said...

Oh my word!! How neat, how special!! I loved the pictures, so beautiful! You are very lucky to have a "run away" spot to go to with your fam!!!

Kylee said...

I'm glad you had fun. The cabin is one of my favorite places!

Mindy said...

Looks fun! Cold, but fun! I love the new name of your blog! I wish I had a "punny" name... I'm still trying to think of something creative! You are so good at that... let me know if you have any enlightenment!

sarawhat said...

I am laughing so hard about that skunk story. I can totally see Grandma Dona doing that.

The Andersons said...

You're making me home sick! A whole flood of wonderful memories just came rushing to my head. Thanks for the pick me up!