Friday, May 15, 2009

I'm not cool, I'm cheap!

My resolution this year has been to save money grocery shopping AND build my food storage up. I like to go for the complex, unmeasurable goals! Yay me!


I think I've done well this year. I taken up clipping coupons, have started looking at the ads (ok, maybe I just a glance, but thats better than never opening them, right?) and now pay better attention to prices when I shop.


As for the food storage, it's coming along well. For Christmas we got a Shelf Reliance can rack (which I love!) and it's about half full. The deep freeze is filled with a butchered pig we bought a few moths ago, and I put up shelves in the mud room which are full of cleaning supplies, laundry stuffs, toilet paper, and that type of thing! I can't tell you how good it feels to be making progress! Especially since I've never really put much into food storage.

I usually
go grocery shopping on Thursdays because McKenzie is in school, - which means Alli and I can take our time and meander through the aisles. Yesterday was no exception. I needed to stock up on a few more baby products, buy a 2 week supply of yogurts, jello, pudding, soups and other soft foods (McKenzie's surgery is Monday) and do the regular grocery shopping, too. When I came time to check out, I SAVED $38.74! Can I get a whoop, whoop! Alright, maybe being frugal isn't cool, but it sure feels good to me!


Buys of the day:
#1 - 1 package Bar S hotdogs AND 1 package Bar S bologna for a total of 6 cents! Six cents! They were on sale for .78 each, and I had a coupon for $1.50 off if you buy two!
#2 - They paid me 8 cents to take home Kraft ranch dressing! It was on sale for $1.42, and I had a $1.50 coupon! Whoo whoo!

Hopefully I can keep this going. I'm a little nervous though, because yesterday was McKenzies last day of school. We can manage regular grocery shopping, but entertaining two kids on my coupon day seems a bit scary. Maybe I'll become one of the those midnight grocery store shoppers and walk around Maceys in my pajamas and slippers? ;)

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why I'm posting this. I've come up with a few reasons:
A) I was in desperate need of updating my blog and was sorely lacking material.
B) I'm still riding the emotional high of saving money
..... or more probably:
C) I'm looking for justification of the money I spent on myself at Kohls last night.

4 comments:

Gentri said...

He He, about the Kohls shopping. Way to go saving money. I always think about doing the couponing thing but it seems so huge to get into. Do you have a site or system you use?

Kristy said...

Staci...I stumbled upon your blog today & thought I'd leave a little note! I had no idea you had to girls! They are so cute! I would love to add you to my blog list if you don't mind...I'd love to keep up on your little family :) Kristy (Langford ;)

Mindy said...

You crack me up! Way to go! And go ahead and consider yourself justified... you deserve whatever you bought, I'm sure!

Jess and Broadie said...

So, I am totally working on the food storage thing also :-) kinda fun huh, now I just need to work on the saving money part when buying groceries :-) you are doing great!