Friday, November 2, 2007

I'm not that mom

Since I have become a mom, I have personally been in every playplace and played on just about every piece of playground equipment in the county. What else am I to do? McKenzie doesnt have any siblings or cousins or even friends her age to play with, so that leaves me. I don't dare send her up in a playplace alone - who knows what is up there, or what she could fall off of. (Okay, so I might be a little overprotective) I dont always enjoy the smell or the stickiness of the equipment, but I breath easy knowing McKenzie is safe and having a great time, and I like being with her. But sometimes I wonder if I harm her by not letting her play alone or use her imagination enough. Sure, sometimes we pretend the tower at the park is a boat and we reel in fish that we pet and then throw back into the ocean, but, it's just not the same as letting her entertain herself. She never really plays alone. Not that she is a mommy's girl - cause she's not that at all. She just wants someone to play with her, she doesnt care who.

So, today, I decided to be a different kind of mom for the afternoon. I packed up a lunch and we went to Settlers park. (It's by far my favorite park - its got neat equipment, lots of grass and trees, and no one is EVER there. Its our own private play oasis) McKenzie ate with me for a while, but her attention started focusing on the slide and the bridge. I didnt say anything as she wandered away to play. She would climb up the stairs, holler "Mommy! Me!" (her version of Look What I Can Do!) and the slide down for some hugs. Eventually she stayed away longer and longer and started making up games. She would scream and reach her hands through the rails like she was a prisoner or stack up bits of bark and then growl and stomp on them like a monster. My plan had worked!

Now I dont want to be the mom that could care less if their child dive bombs from the high tower as long as they dont interupt her reading her romance novel, but some alone time is going to be good for her. I need to work on that - for both of us.

Today was a success, even if she did scare me a little when I looked over and she was half way up the cargo net! Eeek! I rushed over to catch her, but she didnt need it. She did it just fine by herself... three times.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Its amazing how unbrave we can be as mothers, yet our kids have no problem taking risks and enjoy them! But good job letting her go and do the climbing she wants!

Jess and Broadie said...

Good Job Stacy, I know how hard it can be to start to let go, but it is sooo good for them to learn to use their imagination ... maybe you should bring a romance novel and keep one eye on the book and one eye on her :) I do bet she absolutely loves playing with you though, Broadie usually draws and colors stuff on his own and today I helped him color a big poster with sea animals and he absolutely loved that I did that with him, so its great to get both kinds of time in :p, I sure love you and think you are a great mommy!!

sarawhat said...

wait...I didn't know you have a blog! I love love love it. :)