Monday, November 12, 2007

Pray for Cris today...

I was sleeping last night when the phone woke me up at 2:30 am. Cris had gone into work, and was calling to tell me he needed to go to the emergency room for some major burns on his foot. (In case you've never experienced that type of call, it REALLY wakes you up fast!) I guess the pressure release valve on the Coke tank blew, spraying syrup everywhere. Cris climbed a ladder to fix it, and asked some of the employees to start cleaning up the mess. Since the mess was syrup, one of the employees got a bucket of hot water to clean it up. They set the bucket of boiling water at the bottom of the ladder, so when Cris climbed down, he stepped right into it. The water scalded his foot, and soaked into his shoes and socks continuing to burn him. He ripped them off, and ripped a bunch of skin off too. He went to the emergency room where they cut off more skin, covered him in burn cream, wrapped his foot up and fit him in a special shoe. He is going to have to go the U of U burn center this afternoon to be scrubbed and treated - something he is NOT looking forward to.

Since his foot is wrapped up, I havent been able to see much of it. I understand the burns luckily didnt get his toes, but goes from just behind the toes to the lower-middle part of his shin. I cant imagine having the bottom of my foot burnt! YEE-OUCH! He was in a lot of pain, especially after the treatment at the ER, but is luckily drugged up enough to sleep now. I peeked at his foot and can see melted skin at the top of the wound - he says thats nothing compared to the rest of the burn.

Cris has been to the burn center before for another injury when he was younger, and to say the least, he is NOT looking forward to going today. It's for the best, but it is a very painful process of scraping and scrubbing delicate, tender skin from the wound. So, say a little prayer for him today. We'll find out more about the treatment plan this afternoon, but have already been told he won't be allowed to return to work for a minimum of a week. So, stop by sometime and entertain him! We'll welcome the company!

2 comments:

Jess and Broadie said...

Oh no, that is just not good, burns can be very painful, I wish the best for Chris and hope he revocers quickly, we will pray for you guys for sure. Take care of all of you and we will be thinking about you. Please let me know if there is something I can do to help ....

Amy said...

I am so sorry for Cris! I will be praying for you guys. I hope he'll recover well.