Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Angel Tree

Three years ago, when I was offered my job, I was told it involved working with truck drivers and I actually turned it down. I had worked at the Flying J fuel counter for a few months in high school and knew what truck drivers were like. I had no desire to expose myself to more crewd, stinky, nasty men. The people offering me the job assured me that Wal-Mart drivers were different and finally got me to agree to try it. I am so glad I did. I love my job, and I love working with the people there. The drivers are mostly older men, and act like they were my grandfather. They quiz me on McKenzies latest achievements and offer me loads of advice - solicited or not. They are also generous to a fault. They are always coming up with fund raisers for people in need, cancer research, donations to schools and all sorts of special projects.

Every year our office does an Angel Tree to collect Christmas gifts for children in need. I work with 180 male truck drivers, so the first time we did it, I wasnt too sure how it would turn out. The response was amazing! My drivers (yes, as a coordinator it is customary to stake claim on your drivers) wanted to give the kids the best Christmas ever... but a few were a little unsure of shopping. Yeah, they may go to one or two Wal-Mart stores a day, but picking out kid stuff scared them snotless! So, for the last three years, a lot of the guys will hand me a fifty or hundred dollar bill and beg me to pick something out for the kids. I love it! Not only do I get to go shopping without affecting my pocketbook (other than when I go a little overbudget) but I get to weasel my way in on the warm fuzzy feelings they are buying. Its a womans dream come true!

This year was no exception. I had several guys hand over usual (but still generous) donations. Then, last Sunday, one of my drivers called. I wasnt quite sure what he wanted. He sounded apollogetic and acted like he was imposing. Finally, he spit it out and told me that he would like to donate $750 to the Angel Tree, but didnt want to shop himself. He told me he would pay me to do the shopping for him, and appollogized another 8 or 10 times. Of course I told him I would be delighted to do it for free, so mom and I went to Wal-Mart. We had fun picking out the gifts and budgeting to get the best bang for the buck. Tonight as I wrapped up all of the gifts, I noticed I couldnt help but smile. This is what Christmas is about. And even though I feel like an intruder because I didn't sacrifice enough to enjoy these benefits, I am loving every minute of it. I hope the men who donated the money (close to $900 when all is tallied) feel the warmth and know what a difference they are making. The other bad thing? I feel even more selfish and wish I could see the kids open the presents and enjoy what these men have selflessly given them.

2 comments:

Jess and Broadie said...

That is such a great story!!! That is truely the spirit of Christmas and why I love it so much as well. its little things like that ..... I agree, sometimes I would like to be there with the kids when they open things up, I donated a pair of shoes to a little girl and wish I could watch her, I know its not much but you always know its ALOT in their world!!

Amy said...

Wow that is so amazing! What a great job you have. And how neat of you to organize that for Christmas!