Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Adventures of Zombie-ism in Motherhood

I didnt get much sleep last night, and I am really feeling it today. My eyes dont want to stay open and I find myself constantly resisting the urge to crawl back under the blankets and bury my head. McKenzie has been fighting sleeping the last week or so. I dont know what caused it, but it would be sure nice to get it fixed.

McKenzie has always been an easy sleeper. She started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old, has always taken naps easily and got a good 10 hours of sleep at night without a problem. About two weeks ago, she learned to open doors, and since then, wont stay in her room. Maybe its the draw of her new-found freedom calling to her? But, that almost doesn't seem right either. Before she could open doors, she rarely made a peep at night time. Now, when we put her back in her bed, she cries for the light to be left on. What suddenly causes a fear of the dark - especially for a child who thought a nightlight provided too much light to fall asleep to? So, I am writing to ask all of my mommy friends out there for their advise. Any ideas?

6 comments:

Amy said...

Your blog is so cute! I have a couple of things... we put the child-proof door locks on to keep Mae in her room when she's supposed to be! She will outgrow that though, and we'll do something else, but for now it works. I think around age 2 is when immagination develops! So welcome! Its hilarious most of the time, but this is usually when night-mares begin. As far as I know, its normal. Mae has one here or there. Lately she talks about monsters a lot (From Monsters Inc., and from the book, There's a Monster in My Closet. We asure her that her closet door is closed and the monster is gone, other than that, what I can do? And Mae always has a little night light too. It helps. Good luck!

Amy said...

Your blog is so cute! I have a couple of things... we put the child-proof door locks on to keep Mae in her room when she's supposed to be! She will outgrow that though, and we'll do something else, but for now it works. I think around age 2 is when immagination develops! So welcome! Its hilarious most of the time, but this is usually when night-mares begin. As far as I know, its normal. Mae has one here or there. Lately she talks about monsters a lot (From Monsters Inc., and from the book, There's a Monster in My Closet. We asure her that her closet door is closed and the monster is gone, other than that, what I can do? And Mae always has a little night light too. It helps. Good luck!

Leeann said...

I was SOOOO happy to read Amy's post. I have always felt like a bad Mom for "locking" my kids in their room with the door locks. I'm glad to see other Moms do it! I am so worried about Avery getting out during the night. Ever since she was 2, she could unlock the deadbolt on the front door. It scares me to think that she could take off, and I would never know it.
So, advice #1: door lock on the inside of her door.
advice# 2: Leave her light on. It won't kill her and she will sleep. Or try night lights, multiple if need be. If you don't want her light on, put those glow in the dark stars on her ceiling. She'll be excited to have the lights off and be able to see them!

Stacy said...

Thanks for the great advise! I am glad you guys mentioned the door locks. I had thought about getting the childproof adapters for her door handle, but wondered if I was being too mean! I worry so much about her getting out at night and getting into something that can hurt her. Thanks, guys!

Sharon said...

Your new blog is adorable! I don't have an advice, but I loved reading everyone else's! I'm sure it will come in handy for me during the next year!

Lacey Sue said...

I hear you loud and clear, Aspen was NEVER a good sleeper and didn't sleep through the night until LONG after she turned two years old. Braden slept perfectly from birth until about a year old, and now he doesn't sleep more than 4 hours straight without getting up! It's tiring and exhousting and every other word for "worn out" you can think of. But I promise, it does go away. Keep on truckin'!