Saturday, February 9, 2008

Work Stuff

So, for quite some time now, myself and my co-worker Katie, have been wanting to work fewer hours. (Working EVERY weekend is a little hard on family time) We've been in a dilema because currently the only way to be part-time in our office is to be a "floater" which means no set schedule, no promised hours, you just fill in for when people are on vacation or sick. Or, I guess we could go to the warehouse, but throwing boxes holds no appleal for me. Since that doesnt quite work for us, we got creative. We sat down and made a proposal to our HR manager and GM asking if we could begin a job share program. We would like 3 people to share what are currently 2 full time positions. We detailed a plan where each of the 3 job sharers would have every third week off, on a rotating schedule. (It would also mean giving up a 1/3 of my paycheck, but I'm ready for it!) We detailed how much the company would save on benefits, the increase in flexibility and quoted studies that said it would improve job retention and productivity. We were quite proud of ourselves for our clever idea (and professial proposal, I must say!) and forwarded it on to our supervisors last Monday. I was surprised because they were absolutely in favor! They forwarded the our proposition to the regional managers, and before the end of the day we got an email saying that it "sounds like a great idea. Have a few questions on part-time status with one paycheck being full hours, the next half, will check with corporate HR. This may end up going nation-wide!" Wow, who would have thought that some hick girl could change the worlds largest corporation? It's too soon to say for sure, but I should know more this week. I am sitting here, anxious to go to work, and nervous of what I'll find out.

As for the secret mentioned a few posts ago, I never expected to have so much attention drawn to it! I expected people to read it and say, "yeah, secrets make me smile, too" not freak everyone out. Sorry! I promise to post the secret as soon as I am able, maybe in a week or two. Stay posted!

1 comments:

Jess and Broadie said...

ARE YOU PREGO?? Is that the secret ... just so you know I am dying to know! And good job at work and wish Cris luck with his new adventures as well. We miss you and love you lots!!