Friday, February 22, 2008

Mexican Casserole

Since I wont be around much to post anything new this weekend, I thought I would do a double dose today! I thought it would be fun to share easy recipes with each other, since I know most of us could use some more! So, here's mine. Post one on your blog if you want to, or email it to me and I can upload it for you. Todays recipe: Mexican Casserole

  • 1 package corn tortillas (I have a 9" round dish, so I buy the 9" tortillas. Original recipe calls for a casserole dish, so buy what works for you)
  • 3 or 4 chicken breasts
  • 1 jar salsa - as spicy as you like
  • 1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1 envelope chicken taco seasoning
  • 2 cups cheese

The original recipe calls for you to chop the chicken and cook it in a fry pan with the taco seasoning. Personally, I find it easier (and better) to put the chicken in a croc pot for 5 or 6 hours, add the seasoning and about a 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Then the chicken shreds pretty well. Do as you like.

Then, in your dish, layer 2 tortillas, 1/3 of the chicken mixture, 1/3 of the beans, 1/3 of the salsa and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat 3 times. Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.

It's an easy, but really yummy dish that everyone loves. (And big thanks to my mom. She found this recipe and brought it to my house the day we came home from the hospital with McKenzie. It surprised me because I have NEVER seen my mom cook a Mexican dish.)

Enjoy!

0 comments: