Tuesday, April 29, 2008

A good daddy, a tear and a happy afternoon

Cris has been letting McKenzie stay up late and watch the Jazz games with him lately. He makes a deal with her that as long as she sits and is calm, he'll let her stay up and cheer (and eat junk food) with him. It's cute to see her on his lap, sticky gummy worm in one hand and Dorito chip in the other, cheering "Yay Boozer!" anytime a basket is made (whether Carlos Boozer makes it or not). And I dont think anything right now could make Cris prouder of his little buddy.

Since the Jazz have been in the playoffs, their games are starting really late. But, he kept his usual promise on Saturday and the two of them had a hay day. She had her chosen dollar store treats and had made Kool-aid with daddy, and was on cloud nine. I stayed up and watched them bond for a few minutes, but soon went to bed to be able to wake up at 4am for work. I woke up at 11 (thanks to the joys of a pregnancy bladder - NOT my favorite pregnancy complication by a long shot!) and peeked into McKenzies room to check on her. It was empty. I heard the game was still on, and tip toed into the living room thinking Cris was crazy for keeping her up so late. I looked in and saw her laying on her stomach across his lap. He was tenderly tickling her back, and she had zonked out - something I have never, ever seen her do. Ever. Bedtime and naps are routines. No routine, no sleep. I was a little shocked.

But, mostly my heart melted at seeing the tender moment between the two. Sometimes I wonder how the two of them get by without me on the weekends. And somtimes (okay, a lot of the time) I get frustrated when things arent done my way. But seeing this was a little reminder that they are fine and their time together is going to be an important factor in their relationship.

And, truthfully, it made me a little sad. Of course I want them to have fun alone time, but it made me long for having a family day. I work weekends and Cris works week days. It's a wonderful arrangement for avoiding day care and getting quality time with McKenzie, but it's also hard sacrificing our days off together. (Sigh)

Still having family time weighing on my mind, Monday when the phones went down at work, I decided to sneak out early. I only left an hour early, but that hour seemed like a gift and I was determined to do something with it. Our strange choice: shopping at Sams Club. Weird, huh? Cris doesnt go shopping and rarely agrees to run into Salt Lake, but he was up for it then. We went in and Cris and I had the best conversation while we drove. McKenzie sat quietly in the car watching a video and occassionaly saying random things to make us laugh. Shopping was fun (which sounds funny when you are stocking up on soaps, meats and frozen foods, but to each their own, right?) and afterwards we stopped at McDonalds where we found an empty playland to play in. It was the perfect afternoon and it made me feel a little better about things. Oh the miracles of a warehouse store! LOL!

2 comments:

Leeann said...

Your "fun" afternoon out...sounds just like ours!

Sharon said...

I love reading your blog! I love daddy/daughter time, too! Its precious! Hopefully you guys can squeeze in some couple time more often, its so fun!