Tuesday, April 22, 2008

To Shake Her Tailfeather or Not...?

McKenzie has been taking dance classes since the fall. When it started she had a rough time learning how to participate in a class and work with other kids. Then, things started clicking and she did a great job! She loved the class and looked forward to it every week. She might get distracted for a short time, but she learned the dances and had so much fun. Cris and I loved watching her in class, and she always came home so happy.

Then there was a few weeks break near Christmas time. Then, we missed a few weeks for vacations and the sniffles. Once we made it back to class, it was like she had to start over from scratch. She had a short attention span, was difficult in class, and often refused to participate. Class was frustrating, but I kept taking her thinking it would click again soon. Now she doesn't want to go at all. She cries and asks to stay home. I dont want to force it on her, so I keep her home. (Part of the difficulty is class is right after she wakes up from her nap, so she's cranky - even if she naps an hour earlier than usual. It's just a rough time frame. But, as soon as school is out, dance class will be Tuesday mornings at 10, so that timing may help things. Who knows?)

The funny thing is, her missing dance REALLY bothers Cris (the guy who said the entire time I was pregnant with her "she will NEVER wear pink and NEVER take dance classes!") It makes him so sad to think about her giving up on dance. He's not home when its time for class, so sometimes he quizzes me to see if I just didnt feel like going, or if she really refused. He thinks I should take her regardless of her feelings, and she'll end up having fun in the end. Maybe thats true, but I dont want her to feel like dance is a punishment. I have more of the feeling to take a few months off and try again in the fall. Afterall, she's only two. And who knows, maybe she'll end up hating dance and want to play football. I'd like her to take some type of lessons the whole time she's growing up so she can learn new things and develop her talents, whatever they may be.

Anyway, I post this looking for a bit of advice. What do you think? Do we take her so she gets the important benefits of interacting with other kids, excercising, and having fun? Or we take the summer off and see how things look this fall? Or later?

1 comments:

Leeann said...

She is still INCREDIBLY young. I say, take hte summer off (or more) and try again later. Or try something else. Maybe dance isn't her thing.