Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Ticket

I am embarrassed to admit this, but I got a speeding ticket a few days ago. I haven't had one since I was 16. Driving into Grantsville from Tooele the speed limit changes from 60 to 35 in a short space. I usually kick off my cruise control and slow down to the speed without romping on the breaks. I guess when I did it this time, I didnt slow down quickly enough (although the officer said I was down to the limit 100 yards after the sign) and was still at 42 where the 35mph sign sat. And I was busted. 7 miles and hour over - no reduction. I have never ever gotten out of a ticket, it's a talent I just dont have. And I hate it.

When I got home I started to read the citation. It said that I had to report to the court of (blank) in the location of (blank) by the date of (blank). How am I supposed to do that? I called the county a few times, since my last ticket was in Grantsville and I had to handle it at the county building, but they couldnt help me. They needed a case number, which was also blank. What the crap?! I have been so sick lately, I hadn't invested too much time into the process, but figured I'd better do it soon before I had a misdemenor Failure To Appear tacked on too.

I went to the Grantsville City building and asked the court clerk if she could please help me. I explained that the information I needed was blank and had received no help so far. She kinda rolled her eyes at first and asked for the date the ticket was issued, but I didnt remember. She finally came to the window, looked at my ticket to get the date, and found that box was blank too. She said "This is hardly a ticket!" and drug me over to the police station. She showed the clerk the ticket and pointed out the officer never even signed it. The two were pretty ticked off because they couldnt really even enter it in the system, and told me that I had better fight the ticket in court. While we were talking about it, the police cheif overheard us and came out to inspect the ticket. He said "This is garbage!" appollogized, and asked the court clerk if we could dismiss it. She was soon on the phone with the prosecuter and the judge, and my ticket was officially dismissed. It will never hit my record, and I pay no fine. Whoohoo!

While I waited for the paperwork to be processed (I wasnt about to leave without proof that it was dismissed) I heard the chief call the officer in and yell at him (you could hear it through the whole city building) "If you can't take the 30 seconds to fill out these tickets, you shouldnt be issuing them. Maybe you should be dismissed!" I didnt want to cause such a scene, but, it really feels nice to have the ticket disappear like that!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow!! Lucky!! I got a ticket the other day while I was in Tooele! I hadn't gotten one for three years! I was so mad! But I may go and fight it, since its not that bad.

Anyway, congrats on how yours turned out! Thats way lucky!

Leeann said...

LOL That is the funniest thing! I'm glad that he wasn't able to fill out his own ticket and that you got off the hook! :)