Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Tuesday Tell All: Pioneers

In the state of Utah, July 24th is a holiday called Pioneer Day. A pioneer is defined as "one who is the first to do something", or "one who opens up the way for others".
Using this definition, tell us about pioneers in your family.


I'd have to say that my Grandma Dona is a pioneer. She's not the typical grandmother type: I dont think I have ever once seen her make cookies, and the only pancakes I've had at her house came straight from the freezer. But, I wouldnt trade any amount of cookies or a floury apron for her. She's a firecracker! She's always on the go, always styling, and loves to have a good time. But, more than entertaining, my grandma is inspiring. She overcame a difficult childhood, and together with my Grandpa Bruce, built a business they worked tirelessly at. They invested so much time and energy, along with considerable risk into their business, and through that determination built a successful staple of their community. Without women like my grandmother paving the way, women in business (and probably life in general) wouldn't have near the respect and equality they do now. She's also a great example of what you can achieve in life when you work hard, have ethics, and determination to see something through. I know you don't read this, Grams, but I love you!

Here's a link to the business they built. http://www.petersonsmarketplace.com/

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Frozen Pancakes are not as inspiring as green beans in the turkey gravy. I think that was the corker. She and Dad are great people I cant wait or can I to see what my kids laugh about when I get older. if I choose to get older. Jan