Friday, July 11, 2008

Whats for lunch?

Today, McKenzie wanted chicken nuggets for lunch. I cannot eat chicken nuggets without mashed potatoes and chicken gravy (I'm a product of Grantsville Elementary, what can I say?) So, I boiled up my organic baby red potatoes and cooked up some gravy while the nuggets baked. Lots of work (and dirty dishes) for a silly summer time lunch for two!

Anyway, this got me thinking about summer lunches at my house growing up. My mom occassionally made my father a grilled Spam sandwhich (blech!) when he'd come home for lunch. But, by far, the most unusual thing we had was... uh... I honestly dont know what it was called! My mom would slice hotdogs lengthwise, fill them with leftover mashed potatoes and cover them with cheese before baking them. It sounds horrible, but some days it didnt taste too bad - especially if I convinced her to use Velveeta instead of cheddar. However, I can say I've never made this in my own home.

What I want to know is what's the weirdest thing you make for lunch? Leave a comment or write a post of your own.

8 comments:

Alison said...

Stacy, the mashed potato, hot dog thing must have been a trend back then. My mom mad them too! I asked her once where she got the "recipe" and she said she thought it was in a Mormon cookbook or something.

When I was in elementary school and would occasionally take a home lunch, I would put everything in my peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I remember once having a sanwich with Cheeto cheese balls, a fruit roll-up and Oreos in it. Gross! But to this day, I still put chips on my peanut butter sandwiches. Any kind of chips.... I love the crunch!

Stacy said...

My dad and I were just talking and he reminded me of his all-time least favorite food. Growing up, his mom would make boiled egg gravy. He's now threatening to make it for me....yum.

Amy said...

In defense of egg gravy, which is a gross name, my mom would make "Creamed eggs on toast" with buttered toast, chopped up eggs and some kind of creamy gravy stuff, I always LOVED it. But that's breakfast... back to lunch -- The weirdest thing I LOVE for lunch that Matt thinks is weird is cucumber sandwiches, but I KNOW other people do that so its not that weird. Just bread, butter, cucumbers, tomatoes, salt and pepper, yummy!

Kylee said...

My dad makes those hot dog things too, but I like them. I think they are a good meal, but of course, I am usually not very picky when it comes to food. I am only picky with vegetables and some fruit. I have tried cream cheese, cucumber slices and spinach/watercress on sandwiches, so that is kinda like Amy's favorite...I didn't like them. I really can't think of a food that I hate to eat for lunch. I just don't like cooked broccoli, grapefruit, and cantelope...pretty random list, I know.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I had the stuffed hot dogs I grew up and then I made them for my kids. There great. Just loaded with lots of fat from the hotdog to the cheese.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could change the 'there to they're'. Kylee helped me post it before I was ready. Ug....
I'm still learning how to use her computer.
Stacy your baby belly is darling. I have been patting a few bellies this year. It is exciting especially when we can actually hold the baby. Good luck!

Jess and Broadie said...

The hot dog things are called weiner boats, we made them too and love them :) I still make them for Broadie ... I have even gotten Scott to eat them :)haha!!

Anonymous said...

okay Ill get involved. Once I put a hotdog on mac and cheese for Broadie, You cut the hotdog in strips so it looks like an octopus and put it on the mac and cheese. He thought it was fun. Jan