Thursday, July 31, 2008

Does Twilight "Suck The Brains Out of Teenagers"?

As most of you know, I am a fan of the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer - albeit a reluctant fan. My cousin, Jessica, first pushed the books on me and I easily declined them thinking 'thanks, but I'm not into romance books involving vampires'. Then, I began to hear more and more reviews. Everywhere I turned someone was raving about the books. After Sharon issued a challenge to see what I was missing, I gave in. And rather quickly, I was totally hooked - reading the pages as quickly as I could, yet crying each time I finished a chapter because I knew the books would come to an end all too quickly. So, here I sit, anxiously awaiting my preorderd copy of the 4th book to come out in a few weeks, and the movie to be released in a few months. I stumbled across an article about the books on MSN this afternoon critiquing the way Bella is portrayed as a helpless female, and how Edward is a stalker snob. It was definately something I wasn't expecting to hear. Here's part of the review:

I'm going to brave that pain and say it anyway: Edward is a complete prig.
It's not just that he sneaks into Bella's room to watch her sleep -- that's more stalker than prissy, anyway. It's also not just that he drives a Volvo, the car of choice for priggish drivers who obsess about side airbag safety.
Nor is it that his skin sparkles like gems in the sunlight. However gag-worthy this might be, he can't help it if he has pores that
Madonna, Nicole Kidman and other alabaster celebrities would envy.
For me, the last straw really is that he is more obsessed about wedding planning than any groom should be. That makes him a terrible role model for teen girls, who will grow up to face real-life mates who don't know the difference between cummerbunds and canapés, and who will also make rude faces when asked for an opinion on either.
Seriously, though, there's a dark side to priggishness, and that's condescension. Bella and Edward aren't equals. Edward knows it -- he's stronger, his senses are sharper and he's nearly immortal. He constantly has to protect Bella. He even leaves her temporarily to do just that. Bella, meanwhile, settles for a lesser college so she can be with her boyfriend. Augh!
So what does that tell our teen girls to crave? A relationship with someone they worship, rather than someone they can work with through the various challenges of life?
However much I enjoyed the books -- and I read every one, twice -- that's my fundamental concern with them as a parent. Bella constantly needs rescuing and protection. Her vulnerability fuels her desirability, for it's not just a vampire who wants her. A werewolf does, too.
This is where it's worth making a comparison to "Harry Potter." Harry solved his own problems. When he needed rescuing, his friends -- who had complementary talents and courage-quotients -- came to his aid.
Bella doesn't really have friends, at least not among her peers. She hangs out with werewolves and vampires, any one of whom could eat (or drink) her for lunch.
She's as far from being a kick-ass heroine as she can get. She's clumsy and weak. Yes, she has her attractions. She's a devoted daughter who never complains about all the cooking she has to do for her hapless dad.
But girls would be much better off following in Hermione's footsteps. Now there was a girl who could cast a spell, throw a punch, and catch the eye of an international Quidditch star (only to lose interest because he wasn't intellectual enough).

Personally, I think the book was refreshing. I thought it did a wonderful job describing the feelings of falling in love. It was imaginative and creative, and did its job by taking me away into the story. The characters have values and ethics, and with it being a worldwide hit, it's encouraging people to read.

Am I wrong? What are your feelings about the books?

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Bah - I hope you don't mind, but I didn't read most of the article. Cause I LOVE the books! There will always be haters out there, no matter the subject.

And by the way, the 4th book comes out on SATURDAY, AUGUST 2ND... not in a few weeks! Just thought I'd make sure you know!!

Leeann said...

I'm with Sharon....didn't read the article....cause I'm a FAN! I read all 3 in about 4 days and I loved, loved, loved them. Can NOT wait for Saturday!

Jess and Broadie said...

I loved the books and that is all I have to say and I think most girls can relate to bella in many ways ... good ways... so it was totally a jealous man that must have wrote that article :-)

Kylee said...

Well, to let you all know, I love the books and am a major fan of the story. I do however understand where this person (the one who wrote the article) is coming from. I love the books but I seriously believe that the #1 best selling, super famous crap is getting way out of hand. I know people in my school who write their name as "FIRST NAME" CULLEN. I also know people who hate the books for the exact reasons this article states. I still like the books, but I have to agree with the article. I don't think of Bella as a good example. She may be a good person, but I don't look up to her at all. Sorry to break up the fan club party, but I needed to tell you what I think. I have to deal with a bunch of Twilight Fan crap a lot more than you guys.

Kylee said...

oh-stacy...did you realize that I have the exact same background as you on my blog! It's my favorite!

sarawhat said...

What bugs me about these type of critiques is that it's not like I'm (pretending I'm 16) going to read this book then have every view of how men should be change and decide I'm going to be a helpless girl from here on out. It bugs me when people are unable to seperate fiction from real life. I love the books, and I can't WAIT for my copy to get to my doorstep sometime in the next few days so I can finish the series.

Godsgirl said...

As a mother of a 16 year old daughter, I have to disagree with these series of books. I am a Christian woman and have raised my daughters as such. Unfortunatly why don't they listen to you when they are young. My older 2 now married are saying "Mom why didn't we listen to you." I do not say I told you so, I pray. This series of books Twilight is a darkness that has given my youngest a false idea of what the love of God truely is. She said that they don't even mention God in these books. I am disturbed by the ease that she speaks of how Edward survives on animals and tries to stay away from humans for his meals. This is way over the line for me. There is a darkness in this series that truthfully frightens me. What other books or doors will this open for her as she grows into adulthood? As a mother of grown daughters and one more still at home,I cannot condone these books to anyone. Right in line with Harry Potter. Open your eyes Mom's. There is a present evil out there ready to devour our children. You may think I am crazy, but trust me it's there!

Anonymous said...

I am a fan, and a mom. The author of the article obviously can't separate fiction from reality, like another poster said. Books are about leaving reality for a minute, and giving your mind a break. To Godsgirl, I am a Christian as well,involved in church, but also aware of the world, and unfortunately I have seen the Christian community take up arms against books like this many times when it should be fighting the judgmental spirit that is so prevalent in our churches. "If your not this way, we won't accept you." If i can't teach my son to understand the difference between God's love and a book, then that's my fault. My son will know that people don't always talk about God, but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

I love these books. They're a wonderful escape!!!