Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Tuesday Tell All: What Makes You Proud To Be An American?

If I had to sum it all up in one word, it would have to be ‘choice’.

America is amazing because of our undeniable power to choose. We are free to live where we want, we can choose where we work, how we worship, what we want to study and how we behave. Beyond that, we have been given the ability to choose our leadership. Even more amazing, we can choose to disagree with our government!

I am so proud to be an American, and I am humbled by those who selflessly sacrifice for my freedoms. I am thankful I was given a chance to tour Washington D.C. and visit important landmarks in our American history. One of the memories of that trip that will never fade was the amazing feeling of awe I experienced walking through Arlington National Cemetery. I was with a group of rowdy 8th graders that day, but without being asked, a reverent hush fell over our group. I was astonished by the miles and miles of white crosses dotting the grass in even patterns, unable to comprehend the number of lives they represented and what they gave up for me. I know that the number of graves in Arlington is miniscule compared to the actual number who’ve paid the ultimate price, but it’s a figure I’m sad to say I may never comprehend. However, I will continue to try… and to teach my children the same.

This fall, we’ll be asked to make another choice, and cast our vote for President and other officials. Sometimes, I think we can take this responsibility lightly, but I urge everyone to make time to accomplish this task. Compared to the sacrifices of others, waiting in line to voice your choice is such a simple request. Honor your power to choose, and don’t forget to vote.

0 comments: