Monday, October 13, 2008

Happy Birthday to my Big Girl

Dear McKenzie,

You are three years old today. It's amazing to me how much you changed my life. My eyes are watering now as I think about all that we've been through. I remember the day I found out I was pregnant with you. I was in Louisiana traveling for work, and didn't want to share such a special secret with your father over the phone. I mailed him the positive pregnancy test, and still remember the thrill in his voice when he called me the minute he opened the package. He kissed my tummy and talked to you every night while I was pregnant with you. After our first ultrasound, he said you did look a little bit like a tadpole, and christened you his "little froggy baby".

When you were born, my life changed the moment you were placed in my arms. I loved you so much while I was pregnant with you, but can't describe how much that love instantly expanded holding you near me. You were a beautiful baby, and watching your father hold you for the first time with wonder and pride in his eyes is one of my very favorite memories.

Even as a baby you were independent and opinionated, something that still hasn't changed. You know what you want to do, and once your mind is made up, there isn't much that can change it. You are always on the go, experimenting with new things and testing the limits. This has made you very brave and incredibly smart. I am in awe of how talented you are, and you continue to impress me every day.

Right now, you are a little adult. You will gladly pass up playing with toys to help your father and I with whatever we are working on. You are my laundry helper, bathroom scrubber and especially love to help cook and hand wash the dishes. (Of course, you refuse to help if we ask you, though!) You will do anything to go play in the mountains with you daddy, or even tinker in the garage with him. I love watching you two together - daddy and his little buddy.

I hate when you are scared, but having your arms tightly wrapped around my neck needing security makes me so happy and I feel so rewarded. I love your sticky little fingers and your great big kisses. You make me so happy and I am so proud of you!

I love you forever,

Your mommy

4 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

You are a beautiful mommy Stacy! And she is VERY lucky to have you. What a beautiful read, it makes me twice as thankful for my little ones. We definatly cherish these little monsters!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday McKenzie. We all love you and your parents and Allison too. Have a great life!!!! love Aunt Jan

Mindy said...

Aww. Happy Birthday!

Amy said...

Oh, how sweet. Happy Birthday McKenzie!