Thursday, October 30, 2008

Vacation! (Advice needed!)

My parents decided that this year they wanted to do something a little different... they are taking the entire family on a cruise as their gift to us for Christmas! They had been researching and pricing and investigating for months, and finally found the one they wanted. They chose an 8 day cruise through the Mexican Riviera onboard the Norwegian Star. The ship is newer and a has a lot of fun things!

This is the atrium (doesn't it seem weird that that could be in the middle of a boat?

I'm really excited about the fun stuff for the kids! There's several indoor and outdoor pools, plus the kids have their own pool areas, and McKenzie will get to go to the kids club where she can do crafts and play games and all sorts of other fun things with other kids. And, I think its going to be great going with my whole family - there should always be someone to buddy up with when trying something new, and the ship is big enough we can hide from each other, too! Hehehe.



We'll be leaving from Los Angeles April 4th and visiting Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, which is all new area for us. We're hoping to get some beach time in, some sightseeing, and maybe try some deep sea fishing.

Cris and I have gone on a few cruises before (Cris' boss gave him one a few years ago, and we had so much fun we booked one to Belize 2 years ago) so we feel comfortable with the cruise details. But, what really scares us is traveling with kids! We've never taken kids on airplanes, don't know what to do with car seats, and a million other things we probably don't know that we don't know! :) So, if you have any good advice on flying or cruising (or touring Mexico) with kids, we'd love to hear it! Thanks!

1 comments:

Alison said...

Hey, Stacy. I wish I could provide some useful advice, but most of our trips have happened when our kids are several years older than yours which makes it much more manageable.

I do remember taking Aidan on a plane trip to Nebraska when he was about 8 months old. For one of the legs of the trip, we were on a tiny little plane. My most vivid memory of that ride was watching Aidan scream his head off (you'll notice I said watching...that's because the plane noise was so loud I couldn't actually HEAR him...LOL). Anyway, that doesn't provide any reassurance, I'm sure, but hopefully you won't be on a tiny plane like I was.

I would say to feed the baby during take off and landing, and make sure McKenzie has something to either suck on or chew during those times.

Good luck! I hope you have a great time!