Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Morning Update

Bad mommy strikes again.


Yes, I fed my baby single grain rice cereal today, and she's only 2 and a half months old. Even though that picture looks deceiving, she really did love it. She's been interested in food for a while now. She smacks her lips and tries to get to my food when she's sitting on my lap at dinner time. A few weeks ago, my mom and I were having some apple pie and Allison was so interested in the smell, my mom let her taste a bit of the filling and she went nuts over it. She cried for more when she was done. Since then, she wants a taste anytime she smells food. So, I followed her lead and we broke the 4-month rule for foods last night. But, you know what? I don't regret it. She did great - didn't gag or choke, and had a really easy time swallowing the food - hardly any of it was pushed out of her mouth like most kids do when they learn to eat. She kept smacking her lips for more, and if I didn't get it to her fast enough, she'd try to eat her fist. After we were done, she danced in the chair of her swing, almost like she was celebrating. It may be time to break out the high chair!



McKenzie woke up last night leaking buckets of snot. Whats up with this kid lately? She goes a year without being sick, and in the last few months we've had the flu, an ear infection, strep throat and 2 or 3 colds! Not exactly the environment I wanted a newborn in, but what can you do? I broke out the humidifier, the Vicks, and the decongestant, but she still woke up often because she couldn't breathe. Poor thing.

Today she is doing better, but still snotty. (Why are kids always sickest at night?) She hadn't eaten much of dinner last night, and still refused food this morning. I tried everything from eggs, bacon, sausage, cereal, fruit to juices and she always said "no fanks" in her little nasally sick tone. But, a few minutes ago, she came up to me and asked for pizza. She even threw in the "Please, oh please?" So, I popped some pizza rolls in the oven and you should have seen the celebration! Of course, she only had two or three bites, but still I was her hero.

Don't worry, the feeling of joy only lasted until I had to wipe her nose. Then I was returned to my evil villain ranking. Oh the drama at the Dew house. :)

1 comments:

Lacey Sue said...

I hear you about the kids being sick thing...you know I've had my fill this winter already. 3 cases of strep, two ear infections, and two colds...ugh! But it does get bettter, eventually :)!
I have always ignored the "4 month" rule..I have always gone on when my baby showed interest, and it was often 2-3 months old...she'll show you when she is ready..your the mom, follow the babies lead not the worlds right? :)! You are a good mom Stac!!