Thursday, December 4, 2008

An Ode To Thumbs

Yesterday I woke up with sharp pains in my left thumb. It was annoying, but manageable. I was surprised because I wasn't sure why it would hurt - I can't remember falling, participating in any extreme sports (ha ha), or anything else that would injure it. I trudged on with slight whining.

This morning when I woke up it REALLY hurt! It began to swell, and I wasn't able to move it. Couldn't touch it. And sitting still even bothered it. I think I may have even asked Cris not to look at it! LOL!

Turns out it's broken. My first ever broken bone! It's just a hairline fracture, so it's pretty mild. But, my tendon is the main problem. I'm to keep it immobilized, anit-inflamed, rested and elevated for 10 days. My question is how? I never noticed how much I use my thumbs! This stinks! Changing a diaper is quite tricky - and you should see me hen peck this post! I have the feeling I'll be using some creativity to get things done this week - like putting the lid on a sippy cup, or opening my prescriptions - those were fun tasks! :)
So, has anyone else had any "mystery injuries"? Or embarrassing ones? Leave a comment or post about it, because I'm curious. And could use the entertainment. I'll be here wondering if I've taken up sleep walking. Maybe? I did have a big nasty bruise on my knee last week I have no recollection of. But for me, that is pretty normal. Klutziness and easy bruising don't mix. And apparently, neither do chicken bones! Ha ha!

** More funnies! Just before I clicked "publish post" Allison began to fuss. I manged to pick her up... and she spit up all over and inside my splint! What the heck? She never spits up! It's going to be an interesting 10 days! :)

3 comments:

Mindy said...

That's crazy! Maybe you sleep walk? extreme sports while sleep walking? I'm so sorry about your injury, but the way you told about it made me laugh. :) I had to get stitches in my right thumb when Owen was 5 weeks old and I felt very handicapped. Maybe someone else can do dishes for a while though!

Jess and Broadie said...

That is a bummer! Poor thumb, at least it will heal quickly :-) I have add too many "mystery injuries" I wouldn't even know where to start :-) you name it on me and its been injured :-)

Robbie and Mindy said...

Ouch! Having an injured finger is the worst because you use them constantly, especially with a new baby. How long until it heals?