Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I love him

I had one of those amazing days where I felt a bunch of energy to accomplish everything. I cleaned the house, put away the Christmas decorations (finally!) did a bunch of laundry, went grocery shopping and made a homecooked meal: baked ziti with homemade tomatoe and basil sauce! Yum! Cris came home and commented on how much I got done (I love it when he notices I worked hard!), and I told him I was pretty tired after all of it and was looking forward to a long, hot bath after McKenzie went to bed. He said he wanted to watch a movie after she feel asleep so he encouraged me to take the bath then. He didnt have to ask me twice! I closed the bedroom door, walked into the master and started the water running. Just about that time I heard a loud thunk, the sound of a frustrated toddler throwing herself against the door crying for mommy. This is an exerpt of what I heard during my bath:

Angry Toddler: "Mommmmmy! MOM! Menzie bath! ME! MOOOOMMMM!"
Daddy: "Come watch a movie with me! Or we can play with your dishes?"
A.T.: "NO! MOM!"
Daddy: "Don't you like me?"
A.T. "NO! Mom! MOMMY!"
Then I would hear her squeal as he pried her from the bedroom door (I knew she was laying on her tummy, face pressed against the crack at the bottom of the door, fingers sticking underneath because she does the same thing when daddy showers) The noise would quiet down for a moment and I would hear some laughter. Then a random holler "MOM?"
Daddy: "She will be out soon, its okay"
Thumping noise as she runs down the hall to the door
Very Angry Toddler: "Mommy! Menzie! MEEEEeeeEEEE! Open!"
Daddy: "No. N-O!"
And that was my cue. Cris always spells the word "no" when he is about to lose his patience. (Learning this cue has come in helpful so many times. So, the bath may not have been terribly long, but it did the trick. And I love that Cris:
a) noticed what I did (a gold star always is nice)
b) was thoughtful enough to try and provide me with "me time"
and c) sacrificed all of our eardrums and his personal patience dealing with an extremely over-tired toddler trying to re-figure her schedule after vacation just to spend a little extra time with me. Movie night wasn't the top thing on my list earlier in the day, but now nothing sounds better. In fact, I think I should head into the kitchen to make someones favorite shrimp dip.

1 comments:

Leeann said...

Gotta love special nights like that.

And I'll have some shrimp dip, please.