Thursday, January 31, 2008

Seeing eye to eye

You know those days when your kids make you want to pull your hair out? Of course you love them beyond comprehension, but sometimes they can push your every last button and cause a nervous tick or two. I was having one of those days. Big time. No matter what I did, I always seemed a step behind her. From the start of breakfast where she flung bright blue yogurt (somehow making it land on EVERY wall, appliance, window, lightfixture and ceiling in ONE swift swoop. HOW? It was only one spoonful!), to opening and fingerprinting several DVD's, covering the cat in lotion, and smathering herself in green ink from a stamp pad - she was into everything! I would start cleaning up one mess to find two more in progress. There is only one of her, how does she do it? I was litterally looking in the shadows for the evil clone of my child someone had to have dropped off! And you would think that on crazy days like this she would burn off a little energy? Nope, not her. She refused to nap and give me a moments sanity.

I tried to think of all the causes. Her molars didnt seem to be bothering her, and I employed my mommy skills to detect a fever, but came up with nothing. So, I thought, "She must be bored!" I knew I had to concoct a great scheme to grab her attention, so I thought real hard. She loves to help in the kitchen and she is delighted with play dough, so I decided to today we would make our own homemade salt dough. Fun right? NO! She sat on the counter helping me stir for about 30 seconds, and dashed off leaving me helplessly stuck in the middle of a delicate playdough creating masterpiece. Before I knew it the bag of sugar was pulled from the lazy susan and was nicely decorating my floor. (Yes, I still think my feet are sticky from stepping in it by mistake) I finally finished the dough, got a nice layout of old cookie cutters laid out for her and was excited to see her entertained for a bit. 2 seconds later, play dough is on the floor and she's squealing to get down from the booster seat. Great.

We tried reading stories, watching movies, helping me with the laundry (about the only thing that actually got her attention for more than a minute), doing puzzles and EVERYTHING else I could think of. I was going nuts and was almost in tears knowing Cris wouldnt be home to rescue me until late tonight. Around 5pm, I decided to take a bath to release some tension. A quick dip in the tub and a hair wash always makes me feel better. Besides, I thought I could put McKenzie in after my bath and let her play while I blow dried my hair and got dressed. The water filled, and I eased into the tub. So far so good. I dunked my head under the water and thunk! She threw one of my 32 oz (yes, I checked) bottles of cream rinse onto my cheek bone. Smart girl that she is, she chose the brand new, totally full bottle, instead of the near empty one sitting right beside it. In case you were wondering its not a good feeling. In fact, I think I am slightly swollen and beginning to bruise. Great!

I drug myself into the kitchen to finish dinner and feed her. About the time the bowl of mashed potatoes and chicken fell to the floor, I was ready to grab her and scream "What is wrong with you!" I caught myself, took a deep breath and almost cried at the confusion I saw in her eyes. I know I wasnt very patient as the day wore on, and I felt horrible. I scooped her up (dirty little hands and all) and carried her into the quiet living room. I sat her on my lap facing me and told her I loved her. I talked for a minute and told her that I loved her even though we didnt see eye to eye. (I dont know why I used the phrase, it just popped out) She looked at me, nodded, and pointed to her eye, then mine. Then she put her face right in front of mine so our eyes were almost touching and gave me a HUGE hug and told me she loved me.

So, all in all, I'd say today wasnt such a bad day after all.


The amazing power of kids!

4 comments:

Amy said...

Just reading this was making me a little stressed Stacy! But I'm glad it turned out be a great day! That takes REAL patience as a mom!

Sharon said...

Oh my word - I need to take a break myself, just after reading this! You are superwoman and I'm proud of you for making it through a day like today! I hope you can get some comfort in knowing that you handled it beautifully! I would have lost my mind very early on!

Stacy said...

I was hoping to make a few people laugh, not enlist sympathy! LOL! It made me giggle typing it out! But when she lined up our eyes and hugged me, I really did melt!

Leeann said...

I have the exact same days. Isn't it great to know that all the mommies of the world are going crazy together?

We really should carpool.

LOL