Monday, January 14, 2008

Ram Release

I didn't get a chance to post this before our vacation, so bare with me as I catch up now! :) The day before we left for vacation my father went to Antelope Island to assist with a Big Horn Sheep transplant. They were moving sheep from the island to the mountains West of Grantsville. He called when they were on their way, so I bundled up McKenzie and we headed out to meet them. It was a neat experience to watch the elusive animals up close. Here is a video of the release of one trailer of rams. I believe that day they released around 22 sheep and were going to release another 20-25 more the following day. It always makes me laugh when people accuse hunters of being blood thirsty savages out for the thrill of the kill. From my experience, hunters are the ones who spend the most money and time preserving habitat and work hard to make sure animal populations remain at the healthiest level possible.

2 comments:

Steve and Jan said...

You are so right about the commitment to animal and habitat preservation. Hunters have spent billions of the years through the Robertson-Pittman Act and various other entities. No one else even comes close. It was a good video clip, fun to see the sheep run to the hills.

Steve and Jan said...

That was supposed to be billions over the years... stupid no spell check blog stuff!