Thursday, March 6, 2008

Being a mom

McKenzie was up all night sick. She had a stuffy nose and couldnt sleep. Her cheeks are bright red and dry, and her teeth are hurting her, again. (Would it be wrong to take an exacto blade and cut the gums away from those irriating molars? lol!) We spent most of this morning cuddling, something I rarely get from my squirmy little girl, and I loved every minute of it. I hate knowing that she is sick, but with the buckets of nose drippings also come special gifts of cuddles and loves that make my heart melt. It's days like today when I really feel like a mom. I know that simple tasks of turning on the humidifier, tickling her back, or rubbing vap-o-rub on her chest aren't difficult to do, but when I see her relax and and finally look content I feel like I did something important. I may not have gotten my big plans accomplished for the day, but I consider it a success. The kitchen is clean, dinner is in the fridge ready for the oven tonight, and my little girl is taking a much needed nap. So here I sit, feeling content with warmth in my chest, feeling like I made a difference. And suddenly this song comes on the radio. Since I became a mother it's lyrics have held a special place in my heart, and in some silly way, I consider it my song. Ahhh... contentment!

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I love those moments! I know exactly what you mean! I hate it when Katie is sick, but LOVE it when she is cuddly and attached to me. Being a mom is the greatest thing ever!

Anonymous said...

I always hated my kids or grandkids being ill. I hope you all can get on the mend.Love Aunt Jan