Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Strange, but true

So, I am sure a lot of you do not know that we have a cat in our house. It's something that I have resisted blogging about, because, honestly I am not a fan of this cat. We've never bonded, so the cat is pretty much an annoyance that jumps from under the bed and chews on my toes at inopportune times. However, McKenzie loves the cat, and the cat does show considerable patience putting up with a 2 year old. My sister smuggled the cat to college and had to dump it off here when she was busted for rule breaking. Lucky me. Anyway, I figured spreading my feelings about this animal in a public domain may not be a smart move. I stuck by that gut feeling, until now. I have a story that I cant resist sharing. But first, you need to know that this demon cat has the ability to open drawers. I am not lying, I have seen it. And it freaks me out a little. It learned by opening the side table drawer we keep some cat toys in. The cat drags the toys out and carries them to me like a dog, and looks up expectantly wanting to play. I think this is the cats only redeeming quality. Now for the story:

Sunday I came home sick from work. My head was pounding and I thought I was going to die. Before crawling into bed, I made a pit stop in our master bathroom. Demon cat followed me and didnt want to leave. I shut the cat in the bathroom, thinking "at least I can sleep without demon cat chewing on my nose!" and drifted off for an 8 hour nap. When I woke up, I remembered about the cat, and tried to let him out of the bathroom. The door would not open. The cat had opened the vanity drawers, blocking the entrance door from opening. I considered this fix 'man territory' and alerted Cris of his duty. He was not so thrilled. He tried yard sticks, screw drivers, a long plastic pole thingy, and even made the ends sticky so they would get a better grip and hopefully shut the drawers. Nothing worked. The hinges were on the inside of the bathroom, as well as the screws to the door knob. Cris was sufficiently ticked off and gave up after 2 and half hours. I pushed a little food and water under the door for the cat and went back to bed, dreaming of the mess I would have to clean up in the bathroom the next day.

I tried again in the morning, still with no luck. But when Cris got home from work, I had an idea. I sent him outside to cut a small hole in the window screen (the window is too small to fit us in. However we did think about dropping McKenzie in to shut the drawers, but worried she'd get distracted and we'd have a bigger emergency on our hands. Can you imagine?) Luckily the window opened, and through the hole he inserted a long pole-like contraption to shut the drawers. It worked like a charm, but can you imagine what the neighbors were thinking? It kinda reminded me of the episode of friends when they use their pole to poke ugly naked guy across the alley. Had I been feeling better, I would have been out there documenting the journey with some priceless photos. Oh well, it still makes for a good story.

2 comments:

Steve and Jan said...

Funny story. Great idea to get it fixed. I love the critters but they can be a severe pain in the butt at times.

The Andersons said...

Stacy,I am visiting Kambree, she has helped me navigate through your blog to some of the other families.. It has been fun. Usually I learn second hand about the family news from Monte. Just wanted to let you know that our kids learned quickly that the drawer to our bathroom vanity would lock us out. We do not have a window to the bathroom so it took a lot of coaxing to get the kids to close the drawer and let us in!