Thursday, May 8, 2008

End of the Innocence

McKenzie woke up exceptionally happy this morning. She was so sweet and cute, I almost couldn't stand it. Almost. We made french toast and got gussied up and headed out for a morning at the Fashion Place mall. I had some gift certificates that were going to expire, so we went to see what we could do with them. We wandered through a lot of the stores, and McKenzie amazingly remained adorable and sweet. She would point to something on a rack and say "Ooooh! Mommy, me like that!" or "Pretty for mommy!" I had fun holding things up and asking her opinion. She acted so grown up, I had a hard time not bursting out in laughter at her comments. At a few of the stores there were kids running around and darting in and out of the racks. But not my Menzie! How often do I get to say that? Usually, clothes shopping is a nightmare where we both end up exhausted and near tears. Oh, my little girl is growing up!

We found some good deals and found a few complete outfits (including shoes!) for the both of us, all within our gift certificate amount. Talk about awesome! Menzie also picked out some cute croc shoes she can play in this summer. She absolutely adores them, and refused to put the box down after we bought them. You would think those $6 shoes were the highlight of her little life. Better than Disneyland, I tell ya!

There was about $10 left on my gift card, so we decided to grab some lunch in the food court. She stayed pretty close to me, but wanted to wander some, and really wanted to flirt with the people at the tables near us. I'd still have to say she was good, but it makes me uncomfortable when she gets away from me in a public place like that. You never know who could walk by and snatch her up, or what nasty stuff she could get into. So, I picked her up and set her on my lap for the "stranger talk". I felt so horrible crushing her innocence and letting her know that there are a few bad people in the world, but I guess it needed to be done. I kept it simple and told her that there are some bad people who would like to take her away from mommy, but if she stayed by me I would keep her safe. She listened, nodded her head and said "Ok. No bad guys." and remained in her seat without a problem the rest of the time. Didn't even wiggle! I couldn't believe it! Maybe I should have explained the evils of the world earlier? Dinner away from home sure would be easier.

Anyway, that little microscopic conversation about strangers made me sad. I guess I spend a lot of my parenting time trying to teach her new things & show her the fun and beauty of the world, while discreetly covering up the bad before she is exposed to it. Sure, thats a great plan for a lot of things, but it hit me today how many disheartening conversations we're going to have to have about the horrible things that go on today. Just the little tiny bit we talked about today made me feel predatory, like I was bursting the bubble housing her pure mind. So goes the journey of motherhood in the attempt to raise a well adjusted child in a scary world. Wish us luck! ;)

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I dread the days where I'll have to talk to Katie about the dangers of the world. Right now I have to keep her next to me at all times, so I don't have to worry so much. I wish the world were a better, safer place for our darling babies!

I'm glad you guys had a fun shopping day! Fun stuff!