Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Pastas, Breads and Potatoes... Oh my!

My doctor finally called! (He'd been calling me on my home phone while I was out of town, even though I had given him my cell phone number. Grr....) Anyway, my anemia test came out perfect, but there were problems with my glucose level. It was under 50, which is quite low. (70-99 is the normal range) I was surprised, since I had been bracing myself for high glucose which = diabetes. For now, I am supposed to be on a very high carb diet which will increase the amount of glucose in my bloodstream. I am also supposed to snack often, and always have an emergency snack with me at all times. So, breads, pastas, potatoes AND snacking? This could be torture! LOL! I love it!

Right now they can't tell if I am truly hypoglycemic, or if I am just being exceptionally affected by the hormones the placenta produces that sometimes upsets the bodies absorbtion of sugars. I go in for more tests and monitoring tomorrow, and they may administer the official glucose drink test a little earlier than normal in this pregnancy to make sure things are under control. But, for now, there is no reason to worry. In fact, it may explain my unusual (for me) craving for cereal (a starch carb) and milk (a sugar carb). Isn't it amazing how the body knows what it needs?

2 comments:

Jess and Broadie said...

BRING ON THE TREATS!!! DIG IN LADY!!! THE BABY IS HUNGRY AND STEALING IT ALL FROM YOU! Cake and icecream is all I have to say :)

Leeann said...

I want someone to prescribe me PASTA! OH.....Heaven.