Friday, April 3, 2009

Assessment

McKenzie had her assessment today. The speech test was good for her. They asked her to talk about some pictures and asked her the perfect questions to get her to say the sounds she struggles with. Watching the therapist write down some of her words, it made me realize that there were more sounds than I had been aware of, sounds I had overlooked because I knew her intentions. I felt okay after the speech test.

But, after the behavior test, I was a little bothered. She tested with high levels of hyperactivity, aggression, a low attention span, and a low adjustment tolerance. I knew that these were problems, that's why I had scheduled the tests. But, it hurt to hear them said.

About my child.

I feel.... I don't know. I guess there is some guilt. Wondering what I could do/can do differently.

At the same time, I know she's just a kid. She's three. Kids are hyper, play rough, and don't always follow directions. I feel a little protective, not wanting to go to far in the program. I worry what to do. And the crazy things is, I don't even know what my options are. They'll call in a few weeks with more thorough results and let me know if she even qualifies for the program.

Why is wanting the best thing for your child such a complicated thing?!

1 comments:

The Andersons said...

Good luck with making your decision! I'm the worst at decisions, especailly when it comes to my children. I wish they were easier. (I bet your wondering if I ment the decisions or my children)Anyway, that's why I guess I'm giving you my two cents worth. I really hope it helps.

I think you should go for it! Here's why. As far as Early Childhood research goes, the earlier she gets help the better. You're right that ADHD and ADD seem to be a part of the makeup of childhood. It's just developementally where they are. But it is important for them to learn how to work, play and disagree with each other. Those kind of skills are what provide the foundation for success in all aspects of life. I wouldn't stress too much about the stigma or her being labeled. Many, many young children have needs with thier speech. When I was teaching I had probably two or three in every class. The good thing is that right now most of her peers are too young to realize that she needs some extra help. McKenzie will mostly develop her attitude about it from you, so just be the positive loving mommy that you are!

Also, don't worry too much about it being challenging for her academically. It would be good for her to feel successful and comfortable with the content of the program. Then she can really focus on what she is there to work on.

I guess if I were you I would want to know what kind of program it is. Who attends? What do they do when they are there? Will McKenzie have fun when she's there? I would hope they accomplish a lot through play and playful activities. How do they handle conflicts? What your is your feeling about the teachers? I could go on and on...

McKenzie is such a bright and beautiful little girl. I love her, and I love you! Things will be well for her, really they will.

Sorry for the novel.