Thursday, April 16, 2009

They're going to cut my baby!

The night before last, McKenzie was up all night screaming. Mom diagnosis: double ear infections. Why these things never show symptoms until after the doctors office is closed, I'll never know! I think the nasty little germs have a stopwatch. They all gather around and chant "Insta-care closes in: 3... 2... 1... and ATTACK!"

I felt so bad for my poor little girl. She wiggled and writhed in pain. We gave her pain reliever, decongestants, put cotton in her ears, got out the heating pad. I tried everything I could remember doing as a child, and couldn't give her any relief. She would climb up on my lap and beg me to make it better, but when the relief never came, she'd run to her dad and do the same thing. Such a frustrating feeling when you can't help your own child.

I thought I had heard something about putting warm oil in an ear, but wasn't quite sure, so I turned to the handy internet. (What would I do without it?) I found three home remedies. Number one: put urine in her ear. Call me crazy, but I wasn't about to try it. A) sounds messy B)GROSS! C) infection + urine does not sound like a good combination. And I think that something that comes out of a body, probably came out for a reason and shouldn't go back in. Scratched that off the list.

Number two was warm olive oil. Again, it sounded a little messy, but I would have tried it, had it not been for option number three: hydrogen peroxide. I dipped two q-tips in the peroxide and put them in her ears. She didn't like it much, but after 30 seconds, she pulled them out and told us it didn't hurt anymore. She climbed in bed and didn't make a peep the rest of the night. I am totally adding that to my mommy book of tricks!

In the morning I took her to the doctors office. Just as I suspected, two ear infections. Pretty bad ones, in fact. Somehow, him saying that made me feel guilty, but I keep reminding myself that there were absolutely NO symptoms before she went to bed. Whatever I need to do to cope, right?

The doctor also checked out her throat. She normally has HUGE tonsils, but I had been noticing them getting bigger lately. I kept checking her for fever, sore throat, anything that might raise a flag, but nothing did. The doctor told me that they were getting too big, and he wanted them out. I asked if there was any infection or problem with them, but there's not. Just big ole tonsils - tonsillar hypertrophy. Something my mother in law tells me is a Dew Family trait. (THANKS, DEW FAMILY!)

The doctor worried that should she get an infection, the tonsils will swell to the point of completely blocking her airway. EEK! So, we've scheduled appointments with our first ENT. Tonsils should be yanked the first part of May. I still have mine, so I'm a little unsure what to expect. So, tell me, how bad will it be?

6 comments:

Jess and Broadie said...

Poor baby, that is not fun at all, I have had mine out, its not bad, she will just want a lot of popcicles, mine did swell really bad and it made me snore really loud I guess (I don't remember, I was sleeping :-) ) so mine were yanked out too. I hope she feels better soon though!
By the way, I had to copy your blog, I loved your accessory, so I went to get one and I just loved the same one you had, so I copied it :-) haha, but thanks for the idea, I love it, let us know how everything goes with her.
Loves

Mindy said...

Oh! Poor girl! Usually for kids it's not so bad, they are usually up and around in a few days, but it's death for an adult! I had mine out about 4 years ago and I thought I was going to die. The month following the surgery is still a blur! Good luck! Since having mine out I hardly ever get sick anymore!

sarawhat said...

poor baby! I had my tonsils out when I was like, 14. It was a miserable, long recovery. But kids always bounce back quicker. I'm sure lots of milk shakes will help raise her spirits too! Good luck!

Dusty and Rena said...

My baby just had surgery on Monday on some hernias that she had up her mid-line. Not the same as what your big girls is going to go through but I will warn you that the first day was a little nerve racking. From the who starving them before the surgery and the nerves of being a mother to the recovery. Ashlynn didn't want to come out of the anesthesia too well and was pretty well wiped out all day on Monday. Now finally on day 4 she is doing much better and acting more like herself. Good Luck!!

Lacey Sue said...

The younger the child- the faster they heal, the less pain, and it's just easier....
We have Braden scheduled for surgery- next friday- to have tubes placed, tonsils removed, AND adnoids removed. So I am in the SAME boat at you girl...we should start a club.

Leeann said...

I had the same thing as a kid! I got mine out at 6...strangely enough...mine grew back by the time I was 25. Thankfully, not as big and I've left my second set in. :)
Bay had her tonsils out last year and it wasn't bad at all. Have lots of ice cream and popsicles and pudding (you catch my drift) on hand and all will go well. Within a few days she was back to her old self.