Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Vacation Day Five: Puerto Vallarta, Part One


In Puerto Vallarta, my mom, brother, and I wanted to book an excursion to Las Caletas. It's a private cove that you can only get to by boat - no roads. This is a picture of the small boat we road on, with our cruise ship in the background.




There were trained parrots flying everywhere (one nearly scalping me!) and I even got to hold a squirrell monkey! The beaches were beautiful. There were paved pathways, canopys, hammocks, bridges all over the mountainside. I can't begin to describe how beautiful and peaceful it was! I have a million pictures I'd love to post, but am losing patience uploading so many.

We tried snorkeling. I am very cluastrophobic, so breathing through a tube made me panic a bit, but after a few minutes, I got the hang of it. The water was very merky that day, so it was hard to see too much. But, we did get to see a few fish, like a puffer fish. I tried to dive down to get a closer look at a fish, and in the exitement, forgot to hold my breath. Big mistake. I think I filled my lungs with a few gallons of sea water! I coughed and sputtered and gagged for 20 minutes!

Then, we had the chance to kyack, explore, or hang out on the beach before the main event:
We got to swim with sea lions!!!! For some reason I thought they'd be smooth like a dolphin, but they were furry! And friendly! We got to pet them, watch them jump and play, and even got to ride them!!

I got a few kisses, too!


I wish I could have taken the girls with me to enjoy the beach there. We were under a huge rainforest canopy, so sun wouldn't be a big problem. There were crabs to chase, iguanas sunning on the rocks, tons of birds and fish. I absolutely loved it! My new wish: spend at least a week at Las Calentas. This was by far my favorite stop of the trip!












0 comments: