Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Fresh Start

After a crummy day yesterday, I tried my best to shake things off and start fresh. Even after Cris sent me a text message this morning saying "I'm sorry but don't be grumpy k?" I could have let that crappy apollogy (no better than the one I got last night) fester, but I didn't and I am proud. I'm over it and moving on.

This morning I went to the grocery store for a big 'stocking up' food run. The fresh thing must have been on my mind! I bought three times more fruits and veggies than normal. Hopefully we can eat them before they go bad! I spent the next hour or so washing and chopping the food, so we'll be more inclined to eat it. (Maybe instead of grabbing a cookie for a snack because it's easy, I can just as easily munch on some cucumber or broccoli with ranch dip?) For lunch McKenzie and I just had some chicken and spinach salad on crackers and an assortment of veggies. Even though she mostly only licked the dip off of the veggies, I thought the light, fresh lunch absolutely hit the spot. Ahhhh!

The other thing I am trying is changing how McKenzie snacks. Yes, when we're home, she eats pretty good. I let her have one fruit snack or sugary treat a day. But now she's now able to open the fridge by herself and has tried to climb up the shelves to grab a yogurt or whatever she's craving. I've reorganized the fridge so everything thats okay for her to munch on is on the bottom shelf. There's boiled eggs, yogurt, chick peas, grapes and of course veggies. It will be nice to let her choose when she wants to snack, and let her pick her own. I'll appreciate giving her the independence... and hopefully it will help reduce the sugary snacks she convinces daddy to give her on the weekends! ;) To help reinforce the point with her, I am moving the treats to higher shelf in the cubboard (she's been pushing the chair to the counter, climbing up, and getting into the snacks everytime I turn my back) Hopefully, this does the trick, because reasoning, threatening and time outs sure haven't worked!

Most of all, I want to thank all of you for your kind words of support after my last post. It's so nice to have understanding and caring friends! After I lost my temper yesterday, I wondered if it was the hormones getting to me and if I was being overly sensitive. It's SO nice to have my feelings validated and hear the kind words of support. Thanks everyone!

2 comments:

Leeann said...

Yummy! Wanna come remake my fridge and cupboards?

sarawhat said...

ok, I just read your last post about what women at church had to say to you....and people like that make me laugh (out of pity for them). Stacy, you're a good Mom, I feel like that's a well known thing. If you work or stay at home....that's your choice. You know what's best for your family. As long as you know you are doing what is the best thing for your family, you have nothing to worry about! You know those women are taking secret sips of their vodka at home. :)