Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Warning: I am in a foul mood

Cris worked overtime today. It's not a big deal, it wasn't mandatory - he signed up for it because he enjoys it. I think he's worked SO many 60 hour work weeks on salary at his previous job that actually getting paid more for more work is a sort of novelty to him. We'll see how long that lasts. Anyway, I am used to him working long hours, so when he wants to stay late for overtime pay, I dont get upset about it. (most of the time)

But, today he showed up at home 2 hours later than he told me he'd be. And the first words out of his mouth was disappointment that a hot dinner wasn't waiting for him. HELLO?! It's 9:00 at night! I had dinner waiting for him until 7:30, and when he wouldnt answer my phone call, I put it away. I didnt even get a courtesy call saying he was on his way, or that he'd be later than he originally planned. I think I could have handled him being late - maybe even had sympathy that he had worked a long 16 hour day - but those words (intentional, or not) really pushed my buttons. And, admittedly, I didn't handle it well. It set off one of those "we both know we're being stupid, but neither one of us wants to be the one to give in and end this" bickering sessions.

I finished up some laundry and went off to soak in the tub. Sitting there, I of course, felt guilty. I felt bad for reacting poorly, for not understanding that he was probably dog tired and starving, and for not letting the whole thing blow over. And I felt like a bad wife.

Thats definitely not a good feeling to have. Especially since I struggled with "I'm a bad mom" feelings earlier in the day. (Do you mind if I vent a little more?) I was asked to set up a play group for our ward, and today was the first day we met. It was actually a really great turn out, and I was excited it was coming together. I got a chance to meet a lot of the women I didn't know from our ward and I had a really good time visiting with them while the kids played together at the playground. That is, until the topic of work came up. You see, I am definitely in the minority in my neighborhood - most moms don't work. Thats fine. I have NO problem with their choice. If it works for their family and they are happy, I think it is a wonderful plan. However, I do get tired of the critiques of me working. I mean, COME ON!, my daughter is at home with one of her parents 6 days a week. SIX! Mondays she plays at the neighbors house, and I think that is a good thing - there are other kids there and I think she needs the social inteaction. However, everyone I spoke with made a comment about me working. Here are a few actual remarks: "Maybe if you would take the time to open your heart, Heavenly Father could help you change your priorities" or "You are brave. I could never let someone else raise my child!" or "You should try praying to get over worldliness."

Ummm... okay. How do you respond to something like that? I kept trying to remind myself they were just trying to make conversation, but I wanted to grab them by the shoulders, shake them, and ask them if the comprehended what they were saying. Or at the very least, run away.

Maybe the comments bothered me more than they should have. It's a real possibility, considering those are all worries I have pondered during my (still undecided) quest to work or not. I had decided to wait until the new baby is born and see what my feelings were after being home for three months with my girls... but the unanswered questions and feelings and revolving thoughts were dug back up from the dark place I burried them in. Ugh.

Anyway, this afternoon I was playing with McKenzie and I had her laughing SO hard. Her deep belly laughs had my sides hurting. And somehow, that magic laugh - that magic 30 minute laugh - washed away all of the destructive "bad mom" vibes and had me feeling good again. I am this close to marching in her room, waking her up, and tickling her until that laugh comes back. I could totally use some of that magic now. Especially since I don't think Cris will laugh the same way if I go and try to tickle him or read him a story in a silly voice. Too bad things are that easy in a marriage, right?

6 comments:

Alison said...

Stacy, I'm sorry you had a hard day (and night). A bath always helps, doesn't it? It does me.

I assure you that you are not a bad wife OR a bad mom!

I have experienced similar comments and judgments from people about my "decision" to work outside the home. At one point, my neighbor (who was watching Aidan every day while I worked) took it upon herself to bear her testimony about me in sacrament meeting, talking about people who put worldly possessions above being mothers, and who left their children to be raised by others. It was incredibly hurtful and also made me unbelievably angry. The truth is, no one has any right to judge you about any part of your life, least of all your parenting. These very spiritual women probably don't realize how judgmental and un-Christlike they are being. Someone needs to clue them in. I'd be happy to myself -- give me a list of phone numbers. ;)

You are so obviously a wonderful mother, who puts McKenzie above everything. I hope you don't let a few words from some self-righteous people get you down. Your daughter is healthy, happy and blessed with two loving parents.

Sorry for the long comment... this one got me. :) Now...go tickle Cris.

Leeann said...

Oh, have I got a lot to say!!!
First of all - that comment from MY husband, would have had him sleeping on the couch. Call me a bad wife, but by 9:00 at night....ME TIRED....and he thinks he can come strolling in, 2 hours late, with no phone call??? Uh-uh. I don't roll like that.
(With that said, I'm sure that's not typical and I don't think any less of your wonderful husband!) :)
Secondly - the women in your ward? They gotta climb down from the pedestal they've put themselves on. It is a decision between YOU and CRIS over you working. Not THEM. It makes you no less of a mother, to work outside the home. It is not negatively affecting your daughter in ANY way. Grrrr...that makes me so angry. I do not like judgemental people like that.
Thirdly - I LOVE that magic little laugh that kids have. It really can better a bad day.

Amy said...

I just have to say a couple of things... when you're pregnant you have every right and obligation to have foul mood days, especially after the day you've had! So don't feel like you are a bad mother or wife. Secondly, I loved in Elder Ballard's talk in the last conference how he said there is "no perfect way to be a mother" that means no one can tell you to do it differently! As long as we're all trying our best, that's all that matters. Don't let those women get to you. They're just jealous that it works out so well for you to work and have a great family life :)

Sharon said...

I think Alison, Leann and Amy have said everything that I was thinking. I will never stop being shocked at some people's idiocy when it comes to topics like "working mothers". It just goes to show that they have things that they need to work on themselves, just like everyone else. Its never fun to be the subject of such idiocy and I'm sorry you had to be put through that.

Also, ditto with Leann's comment about hubby sleeping on the couch. I have never been one to be patient with James' insensitivity. I think you are much better than me, cause you felt bad almost right away! LOL! I'm way more stubborn!

Anyway, we all think you are fantastic and hope that the rest of the week is better for you! Just know that you are and have always been a fantastic mother and wife (and daughter and sister and friend!)

Melodie said...

I can't believe some of those comments about you working. Try not to feel too bad, though. I work 40 hours a week so my husband can get through school faster. Since he works part time and goes to school full time my mom babysits my son. I agree that it is good for kids to get to know other people. I'm glad my mom can watch my son and that he can have a good relationship with her.

Anonymous said...

I applaud you for being a woman that can have a full time job and wonderful family. I respect people like that!